Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Jack Of All Cookies

 I have a secret to share with you all. When I make up my cookie platters and gift boxes every year....




Don't be mad okay???


I use one cookie base recipe and add different flavors to it. Horrible!!!! I know! It only gets worse... I make them ahead of time into cookie logs, freeze them, and slice and bake when I need them! Oh the shame! Although I feel much better about telling my secret. Plus, now that you know about it, you can cheat with me, and then I won't feel so bad. 

I start out with a cookie base that is simple and easy. The recipe below is similar to the one I use, but mine is actually from my Aunt Diana, and some things should stay in the family, ya know?




Brown Sugar Cookies

1 c. butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1 tsp. salt
4 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
 




Now we get to the fun part:


Go to you baking isle, and check out all the tempting tidbits and yummy morsels just begging to be added to a cookie batter. I have seen and used butterscotch, toffee, dark chocolate, peppermint bits, peanut butter chips, mint chocolate chips, mini chips, and M&M's to name a few. Don't forget to get some almonds, walnuts, or pecans, and then swing by the dried fruits and pick up some Craisins,  and what ever else you fancy. Make a new batch of dough for each flavor you choose to make. If you don't want to go out and get any of these chips and bits? Make up a bowl of cinnamon and sugar and roll balls of your dough in it before you bake. This will produce what is known as "snickerdoodles". If you want to bake right away, make sure to put your dough in the fridge for at least an 1/2 hour to firm it up. (Cooking with butter can be tricky like that)

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, and bask in the glory of delicious cookie love. 

My next post will have all my helpful cookie making hints in it. Be sure to look out for it, especially if you can never figure out how to make chewy cookies instead of making those frisbees you cringe at sharing. Been there, done that, writing the blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment