Monday, November 14, 2011

Mushroom Stroganoff For The Meatless

 We eat meat in my family, lots and lots of red meat, chicken, and pork. We are obviously protein people. But, occasionally we do run across a friend or acquaintance that is anti meat. You know them as Vegetarians. Veggies are great, but I have never had to stop and consider all the things that we cook with that already have chicken and beef flavoring, or something similar. Tofu is outta bounds for me, and I will tolerate a chunk or two in some hot and sour soup, but Tofu dogs?? No. Not ever. Gah!!! So upon hearing that I would have a vegetarian joining my table this past weekend, I panicked, and then ran to my good ole red and white checkered cook book. Sure I could open some cans of veggies, and call free for all, but we don't treat guests like that. Only the family. I found a perfect answer to my "wtf do I make?" dilemma. It is called mushroom stroganoff, and it is pretty darn tasty for a meatless dish. Although, my first thought upon tasting the final product was "this would be really tasty with ground beef!" Sadly, our veggie loving guest couldn't make it after all, and I had a huge pot of it left over. So I cut up leftover steak and added it to the pasta, and served it for dinner last night. It was amazing!

 
 
 
 
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 pound assorted mushrooms (such as button, crimini, oyster and portabella), sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt 
 
1 crushed vegetable bullion cube
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
6 cups hot cooked egg noodles or linguini

1.) Melt butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook garlic, onion and mushrooms in margarine, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley and salt.

2.) Mix broth and flour; stir into mushroom mixture. sprinkle in crushed bullion cube Heat to boiling. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened; reduce heat to low.

3 .)Stir in sour cream (do not boil). Serve over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment